"Never mind, then," he said hastily in a voice like velvet.
别介意,他用天鹅绒般的声音急切的说道
"I can see that it's impossible. Thank you so much for your help."
我明白了这是不可能的,谢谢你的帮助。
And he turned on his heel without another look at me, and disappeared out the door.
然后他转身离去没有再看我一眼,然后小时在门外了。
I went meekly to the desk, my face white for once instead of red, and handed her the signed slip.
我温顺地走向桌子,脸色立刻由红变白。 我把签了字的纸条递给她。
"How did your first day go, dear?" the receptionist asked maternally.
你第一天过的怎么样亲爱的?那个接待员母亲般的问道。
"Fine," I lied, my voice weak. She didn't look convinced.
挺好的,我说谎者,我的声音单薄,她看起来不是特别相信。
When I got to the truck, it was almost the last car in the lot.
当我回到卡车,它是最后一辆停在那里的车了。
当我回到车上时,停车场上几乎就剩下我这辆车了。
It seemed like a haven, already the closest thing to home I had in this damp green hole.
它简直像个天堂。对我来说它是在这个潮湿的绿穴里最接近家的地方了。
I sat inside for a while, just staring out the windshield blankly.
我在驾驶室里坐了一会儿,只是茫然地盯着挡风玻璃看。
But soon I was cold enough to need the heater, so I turned the key and the engine roared to life.
但是一会儿我冷到需要一些温暖,所以我转动钥匙发动引擎重新回到生活。
但很快我就冷得不行,需要打开暖气。于是我拧动钥匙,引擎轰鸣起来。
I headed back to Charlie's house, fighting tears the whole way there.
我径直开回查理斯的家,生怕眼泪就留了下来。
我径直开回查理的家,一路上努力不让眼泪掉下来。